Bakuchiol is natural, stable when exposed to air and light, and is tolerated far better than Retinol.
Bakuchiol has been tested on subjects with sensitive skin and was well-tolerated and effective in these studies, with improvement in visual smoothness, tactile smoothness, clarity, radiance, overall appearance, and general anti-aging so, not only is Bakuchiol better tolerated than Retinol, its photo- and hydrolytic stability are also much better. This means you can use products containing Bakuchiol during the day, without having to be concerned about a loss of efficacy or unwanted by-products of degradation.
Bakuchiol was first isolated in 1973 from Psoralea corylifolia. Though the structure of the compound is quite different to that of Retinol, it has been found that its biological activity is very similar.
This study made several other interesting conclusions, including that Bakuchiol may increase the availability of endogenous Retinol. It was also noted that, unlike Retinol, Bakuchiol doesn’t upregulate the expression of Retinoic Acid receptors, which mediate the effects of these substances. This suggests an advantage of Bakuchiol in terms of side-effects.
Clinical trials have further substantiated these indications, showing that Bakuchiol performed as well as Retinol as an anti-ageing active, while producing a lower incidence of adverse reactions.
Bakuchiol as an anti-ageing ingredient:
- Decreases wrinkle depth
- Decreases hyperpigmentation associated with ageing
- Reduces skin redness and skin roughness
- Stimulates the production of new Collagen I, III and IV
Bakuchiol as an anti-inflammatory ingredient:
- Mitigates inflammation
- Anti-ageing and anti-acne activity
- Inhibirs Matric Metalloproteases (MMPs)
- Downregulates many pro-inflammatory genes in skin cells
- Reduces the synthesis of inflammatory cytokines and prostaglandins
Bakuchiol as an antioxidant ingredient:
- Potent antioxidant
- Reduces oxidative stress
- Maintains genetic integrity
- Keeps cellular energy levels high
- Protects mitochondrial functions
- Increases Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) synthesis which releases more energy for the cell
Bakuchiol as an antimicrobial ingredient:
- May help in preventing the rapid overgrowth of acne populations
- Strong antifungal activity which makes it effective in controlling Malassezia populations
- Regulates abnormal keratinisation